Sunday, April 7, 2013

Being a Stay at home mom

My husband and I decided I would stay at home with our children when we had our son last year. My husband is a teacher and things are tight financially. I have been amazed at Gods continued provision in our lives. It is only by His grace I have been able to stay at home. Many months I didn't know how we would make it and we would then receive a check in the mail or we would have a yard sale and it would make exactly what we needed for a bill we had received that I was concerned we wouldn't be able to pay. God gives us exactly what we need! All that being said I would like to encourage you if you are thinking of staying home with your children, you can do it! There is nothing better than being  home with my son.

Here are some ways we have found to make extra money to help out:

  • Sam Goody buys DVDs for anywhere from .50 to over 2.00 a movie depending on what it is.
  • Currently our local Books a Million is buying books.
  • Consignment shops- some will give cash on the spot and others you can get a percentage of money if your clothes sell.
  • Pawn shops will also take DVDs as well as electronics, and video games.
  • Places that buy gold and silver...this is good if you are in a real jam.
  • Yard sales! We have a yard sale at least once a month. This has been one of the most amazing ways God has provided for us. Our family and friends give us stuff they would give to goodwill or don't need and allow us to keep the proceeds we get. I'm so thankful for the generosity of our church family and especially of my husbands family.
  • Walking - I find things on the side of the road on garbage day and the day before I have used towards restocking our yard sale stash or that I fix up and give to my son.
  • Art commissions: I paint and have been hired a lot this year to paint portraits, and such. You may not paint but there may be something special you do that you can sell.
  • Babysitting: I watch young children at our church once a week and I also occasionally pick up babysitting jobs.
  • Dog walking
Do you have any creative ways to make money for your family? Please share them! I'm always looking for new ways to help our family.


Hope this can help someone who is struggling or feels it is impossible to live on one salary. We don't live excessively, but we live comfortably and I am so thankful for my husband who sacrifices and works hard for our family.


No comments:

Post a Comment